Quality.

Looking for an obscure Islander part? Got some tips on rigging or keels for an Islander? Want to chat about maintenance best practices in general? Wondering about original specifications or upgrades? This is the spot for you.

Quality.

Postby JerryLitton » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:33 pm

Does anyone have information of the build quality of these boats? I took some cores out of the forward and aft decking to install hawse pipes and I was impressed. However I have heard of resin rich and non-directional laminate in the build. I am not sure what this means, does anyone? Mine is a 68.
JerryLitton

Re: Quality.

Postby newhaul » Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:28 am

Jerry heavy gel coat two layers ( minimum) of mat and then at least one layer of roving then more mat then woven cloth in mine even heavier in the bilge turn at keel. Decks were same with marine ply course where extra strength was needed otherwise mine is an inch solid glass.
newhaul

Postby JerryLitton » Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:44 am

Mine is an inch of solid glass in the hull also. I cut out two hawse pipes, one fore and one aft. Very thick and strong deck so I am good to go there. RichH doesn't seem to think too well about them though. Oh well.
JerryLitton

Postby newhaul » Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:45 pm

That's rich for ya. Heck the bolts on my forestal chain plate are 5 inches long and I just barely have enough on the inside for proper washers and nut with two or 3 threads past the nut. These boats are built like a tank.
newhaul

Return to Main Islander Maintenance Design